GLINA Whisky

Glina, first mentioned in 1238, comes from the Slavic and means as much as clay and loam. The current place name Glindow derived from it. The Slavs who settled down in this area found water and richness of fish, fertile soil, as well as clay and loam to build their houses. At the end of the 19th century, when our families from East Prussia and Silesia came to settle here, they began to settle on the Elisabeth Hill estate. The initial field size was limited to 4 Prussian acres, which corresponds to today’s size of one hectare.

Since the 14th century, Glindow belonged to the Cistercian monastery “Kloster Lehnin” and the wine-growing was in a leading position until the Middle of 18th century The hard frosty winter 1739/40 brought the end of the mass-made wines, because King Friedrich II. demanded from Werder as well as Glindow and the surrounding places of the mark to stop the wine cultivation and instead to cultivate grain for the food of its soldiers.

Since then the cultivation of grain is at home in our field boundaries. “The first settler”, the farmer who is moving off the grain with the scythe has been our symbol for a good handmade whiskey since the existence of our distillery.